Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Differences

Sometime ago, I read an article about making promises to God is not good. Of course, it captured my attention because I have been doing things like that (I think)... Well, it's not actually like I'm quoting "I promise to." Yes, I tried that for times and sometimes I end up breaking them. Then I get frustrated and all. Anyways, if that promise is synonymous with the word commitment, I won't deny myself from this. Everyday, I do make commitments to Him. And it's not like everyday I fulfilled it.

Promises.
Swear.
Commitment.

These 3 words confused me tonight. Well actually what really is vexing is the last paragraph I read in the blog. I didn't understand what it meant. I mean, I wonder if I mistook or misunderstood the example given in the statement.

I knew about this fact as I was growing with God, but the term I encountered was swear.

I believe swearing and making promises are 2 different things in this world. Based on my research, the term swear has 2 possible meanings, either to vow or to curse in English. And if we are to connect it in Matthew 5:33-37, I believe the swear we encountered in this passage is the later meaning. The passage is telling us to not swear falsely but shall perform to the Lord what was sworn.

A simple yes or no, that's what Jesus is waiting for. He is waiting for us to answer His calling of having a commitment, a relationship of love with the Father. And when we are asked to do something, I think its when this yes or no, and not to swear enters. Swearing is like a lukewarm commitment. A loan with a collateral, that's how I think about it. Using everything just to prove its credibility, isn't it much - to also think that we don't have we can boast to?

Promises. Swears. Commitment. Aside from the contradictions I have in mind, do you know what's so good about this? It's God's love. His love eyes that foresees the past, present and future. Most of the time, when we make commitments to God, specially those mediocre promises or compromises, and it breaks. He doesn't only understood our weakness and forgives us from all of these mistakes, also this leads us to become disciplined and more likely know what is His message and give an honest yes or no in the situation.

Whatever it is, one thing is certain: Eternity is in our hearts and no one can ever know the glory He has placed in that area. Finding and knowing all of those things won't be easy but it's always worth it. Just like loving, finding His will for us can also hurt us but everything is assured, secured. As stated in Romans 8:28, everything is in accord to His purpose for us.

If we ever have had promises to Him or any word that is specially binding to Him, WE HAVE TO KEEP IT. That's the key here. I was reading another post from somewhere and I think this has a point. It's not like I encourage everyone to swear and all of it, NO. What I'm trying to tell you here is to listen to that voice inside you and declare whatever He told you by mouth. That's how amazing our mouth can be, our tongue. So better be careful ;)

Another thing is that we have the Bible anyways to guide us. Recently, I just realized that whenever there are things that I do not know what to pray, I can use what I have devotion as a my prayer. I mean, isn't it making a commitment to Him? Asking Him to become what He wants us to be? On the process, the ups and downs, remember to not back up. When its frustrating, just call Him up 'cause He's always there.

Let's not continue to regard our self concerning things that will just confuse us. The truth is already in our hands. We are well taken care of differently, so as special treatment to each and everyone is given. Don't you think it's too grand? Well, that's how GRAND our FATHER is.

Continue to be equipped by God's given armor and always be ready to hear that still small voice in the quietness. Let's not strain ourselves from thinking our failures of breaking our commitment with Him, rather let's look to the confidence God gave us to continue the journey. Let us continue to open our hearts from His leading so that we may understand that as we are given the opportunity to rule in the earths, so as He needs us to make ourselves the one He wants us to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment